Monday, January 24, 2011

Good Food, Good Goals, Good Day.

I am sitting at my desk in my office, wearing leggings and a sweatshirt and my hair is thrown up. I am feeling supremely happy. Nothing special, it's just been a good 24 hours and I've been taking care of my "big rocks" and that has given me lots of joy!

Last night my hubs and I got creative with cooking. We were gonna go to Trader Joe's yesterday afternoon, but we got lazy. So, we were stuck with two containers of mushrooms and a frozen bag of green beans. I cooked up the mushrooms using two recipes and they both were to die for.

Recipe A)

  • Pour 2-3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil in large pan. Add washed and sliced mushrooms (about 12 oz) and 2-3 cloves of garlic crushed.
  • Sauté until the juices come out of the 'shrooms.
  • Once the most of the juices have evaporated add a splash of lemon juice and 2 tablespoons parsley. Sauté for another couple minutes
  • Add salt and pepper to taste.
Recipe B)
  • Pour 2-3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil in large pan. Add washed and sliced mushrooms (about 12 oz) and 2-3 cloves of garlic crushed.
  • Sauté until the juices come out of the 'shrooms.
  • Add 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar. Sauté until most of the liquid has evaporated.
  • Add salt and pepper to taste.


... pictures don't do them justice! These mushrooms were AMAZING!!! Both recipes melt in your mouth like butter! :)

After dinner I was craving something sweet (and we were out of dates - my go-to 'healthy' dessert). So, I decided to make up some smoothies. Usually for breakfast I make 'healthier' smoothies (Something akin to Angela Liddon's Green Monsters). But this time I was going for straight up dessert taste. So, I pureed almond milk, a bunch of frozen blueberries, 1 banana, a couple strawberries, 1 small pear, and 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder. The cocoa powder made it incredible and the super sweet fruits that I used gave just enough sugar. It was like some sort of dark chocolate fruity bliss.

Smoothies, plus a couple Gilmore Girls episodes and I fell into a sweet slumber!

This morning continued my streak of happiness. I got up this morning and worked for an hour on my story. I plugged in headphones and played ambient music (I need to play music whenever I write... It keeps me focused!) and I did lots of organizing and research for my story. I definitely made progress, even if I didn't exactly fulfill a designated word count for the day. It feels so good to work on my goals.

After a morning breakfast of a pear and English Breakfast tea we decided to hit up Trader Joe's. Let me tell you, leisurely grocery shopping is amazing. And dangerous. Especially when you're coming off of a dairy-free, bread/pasta/grains-free, meat-free cleanse. We spent a lot more than usual and loaded up on lots of good food. We kept it healthy though! I definitely want to keep my cheese and carb intake in check from now on. I've lost 5 lbs and the husband has lost 10. This eating more fruits and vegetables thing is awesome!

So we got home with the loot and I proceeded to clean out and organize my fridge.
(Looks happy, doesn't it?)

I told my husband that I never want to scrimp on healthy food. I'll gladly wear Wal Mart apparel and drive a decrepit old car. Eating healthful and delicious food brings such well-being to my body and soul. And I love sharing edible goodness with others!

After lunch (Dal Makhani and Garlic Naan from TJ's - I love Indian cuisine), we hit up the gym. I ran 2.5 miles and languished in the steam room (I LOVE STEAM ROOMS!). Now we are home cleaning. And it's snowy outside. Yes, I hate the slush and I get tired of the cold. But I love pretty snow. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment